ISSN 2330-717X

Turkey Prepares To Try Coup Suspects

By

(EurActiv) — The first trials of thousands of suspects arrested in the wake of Turkey’s failed 15 July coup aimed at ousting President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan will begin in early 2017, Ankara’s chief prosecutor said on today (3 November).

Thousands of ex-soldiers, legal workers and civilians are currently in jail pending trial on suspicion of involvement in the coup, which Ankara says was masterminded by the US-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen.

“Without giving an exact date, we are expecting to begin the first trials at the start of 2017,” Ankara’s chief prosecutor Harun Kodalak said in comments published by Turkish media.

He added: “There could be a trial or trials opened in the last month of this year but it is in 2017 that we are planning to open a series of trials,” he said.

The trials are expected to be the most substantial legal process in Turkey in its modern history, with purpose-built facilities needed to be set up in some areas.

The scale of the crackdown and the duration of the suspects’ stay in pre-trial detention has caused international concern and strained Turkey’s ties with the European Union.

Gülen, who has been based in the United States since the late 1990s, has vehemently denied the claims of his involvement in the coup.

President Erdoğan also today accused Germany of being a “haven for terrorists” and warned that it would be “judged by history”.

He claimed that the Bundesrepublik has long harboured militants from the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which has waged a three-decade insurgency for Kurdish autonomy, and far-leftists from the DHKP-C, which has carried out armed attacks in Turkey.

“We are concerned that Germany, which has protected the PKK and DHKP-C for years, has become the backyard of the Gulenist terror organisation,” Erdoğan said, referring to the network of U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.

“We don’t have any expectations from Germany but you will be judged in history for abetting terrorism … Germany has become an important haven for terrorists,” he told a ceremony at his palace in the capital Ankara.

Turkish officials have in recent days said two civilians, a theology lecturer named Adil Öksüz and businessman Kemal Batmaz, were in charge of organising the coup bid from the Akinci airbase in Ankara.

According to prosecutors, the two were in the United States and only returned to Turkey two days before the attempt to overthrow Erdoğan’s regime.

Batmaz is in custody in Sincan prison outside Ankara. Embarrassingly for the Turkish authorities, Öksüz was detained in the aftermath of the coup but then released and is now on the run.

According to Kodalak, video footage has confirmed that Batmaz was at the base on the night of the coup. Batmaz has denied involvement in the coup.

Turkish officials have said that Öksüz was the so-called “imam” of the plot and in charge of coordinating between Gülen and the army.

But Kodalak said Batmaz “could be as important as Adil Öksüz and even his superior”.

According to a report Wednesday by Turkey’s NTV television (2 November), the authorities had thwarted a mass escape plan by 5,544 coup suspects.


Enjoy the article? Then please consider donating today to ensure that Eurasia Review can continue to be able to provide similar content.


EurActiv

EurActiv

EurActiv publishes free, independent policy news and facilitates open policy debates in 12 languages.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

CLOSE
CLOSE