Dozens of insurgents, mostly foreigners, have been killed in the Spera district of southeastern Khost province, authorities claimed on Friday.
Two drone strikes and a commando operation were conducted against insurgents in the restive town last week, Khost police chief Brig. Gen. Faizullah Ghairat told Pajhwok Afghan News.
At least 85 fighters, most of them foreigners, were eliminated during the operations, he said, adding the militants planned to carry out a string of attacks in the district during the Eidul Adha festival.
“Before they could implement their plans, the militants were killed,” the police chief said. “They (terrorists) will never succeed in their nefarious designs. I assure you the district will not fall to them.”
Elaborate security plans had been prepared and no one would be allowed to disturb public order during the Eid, Gen. Ghairat continued. He urged the general public to cooperate with security forces.
“If the people don’t support us, the security forces can’t do much on their own. One reason is that their strength is far from adequate. We can’t set security checkpoints everywhere.”
The police boss called on the militants to lay down their weapons and participate in the reconstruction of their war-torn country.
Meanwhile, Governor Hakam Khan Habibi also urged the rebels to join the reconciliation campaign. War did not offer a solution to problems, the governor argued.
By Mohammad Haroon, original article
|Enjoy the article? Then please consider donating today to ensure that Eurasia Review can continue to be able to provide similar content.|