ISSN 2330-717X

Egypt: Death Toll From Migrant Boat Tragedy Rises To 51

By

The death toll from a boat carrying undocumented migrants that sank off Egypt’s northern coast earlier this week has risen to 51, a local official said Friday.

“Security forces have recovered nine more bodies,” Mohamed Sultan, governor of Egypt’s northern Beheira province, told Anadolu Agency.

The boat, which had reportedly been carrying hundreds of undocumented migrants of various nationalities, sank Wednesday in the Mediterranean Sea north of Beheira’s port city of Rashid (Rosetta).

Bodies recovered so far include eight African nationals and one Egyptian child, according to Sultan.

Egypt’s state-run media earlier reported that at least 600 people had been aboard the ill-fated vessel.

Egypt’s coasts are among the main transit routes used by migrants and refugees from Africa and Asia hoping to make the sea journey to Europe.

Original article


Enjoy the article? Then please consider donating today to ensure that Eurasia Review can continue to be able to provide similar content.


Al Bawaba News

Al Bawaba News

Al Bawaba provides top stories and breaking news about the Middle East and the world. The Al Bawaba network consists of several web portals and media platforms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

CLOSE
CLOSE