By Ria Novosti
The participants of the “march of millions” in the Egyptian capital are demanding the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak despite concessions he has been forced to make.
“Go, go, go!” tens of thousands of demonstrators are shouting on Cairo’s central Tahrir square, rejecting any thought of dialogue with the authorities until Mubarak is in power.
Egypt’s leading opposition figure Mohammed ElBaradei earlier on Tuesday called on embattled Mubarak to step down and leave the country. The incumbent’s resignation is a prerequisite to dialogue between the opposition and the government, ElBaradei told the al-Arabiya TV channel.
The protesters are also demanding political reform, amendments to the constitution, and the dissolution of the parliament, which they say was formed following flawed elections late last year.
The nationwide unrest, which has already claimed the lives of at least 150 people and injured some 4,000, is likely to turn even more violent if clashes break out between supporters of Mubarak and protesters.
Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman said Monday prior to the “march of millions” that Mubarak ordered him to hold dialogue with all opposition forces to end the crisis that had paralyzed the country.
Mubarak also pledged that a revote would take place in districts where there are proven to have been violations.
Russian journalists from the Zvezda TV channel were detained in Egypt, and the Russian Embassy said it is clarifying the details of the arrest, which may have taken place during the curfew.