ISSN 2330-717X

Spanish Social Security Posts Surplus Of 2.74 Billion Euros


According to the performance data reflected in the Accounting Information System of the Social Security, Spain’s system accounts posted a surplus of 2.74 billion euros at the end of February.

This balance corresponds to the difference between recognized revenue from non-financial transactions of 22.52 billion euros and recognized expenses of 19.79 billion euros.

Of the total volume of recognized revenue, 91.81% corresponds to the administrative entities and common services of the Social Security system while the remaining 8.19% corresponds to the Mutual Insurance Companies that collaborate with the Social Security authorities. 96.14% of the expenses were recognized by the administrative entities and the remaining 3.86% by the mutual insurance companies.


National Insurance contributions amounted to 17.95 billion euros, which represents an increase of 3.95 percentage points on the same period last year as a result of a 4.55% rise in contributions from the employed and a 4.77% drop in contributions from the unemployed.

In terms of cash resources – the cash accounting term used to monitor the income and outgoings of cash monetary resources in the system – the rate of year-on-year growth for National Insurance contributions stands at 4.37%, compared with a rate of 2.71% in February 2016. Specifically, National Insurance contributions within the General Regime rose by 5.22%. This figure stood at 3.73% last year.

Current transfers amounted to 4.12 billion euros – down 2.17% on the accumulated figure to the same date in 2016. Revenue from assets amounted to 175.65 million euros – down 53.12% year-on-year. Taxes and other revenue amounted to 270.51 million euros, a year-on-year decrease of 4.82%.


Economic benefits paid out to families and institutions amounted to 18.93 billion euros, a figure that represents 95% of total expenditure incurred by the system.

Please Donate Today

Did you enjoy this article? Then please consider donating today to ensure that Eurasia Review can continue to be able to provide similar content.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.