BP said Friday it is aware of the claims filed against the company on 1 September by Halliburton. The company is now reviewing the contents of the claims and until this is complete cannot comment in detail.
However, BP said it believes this lawsuit is the latest attempt by Halliburton to divert attention from its role in the Deepwater Horizon incident and its failure to meet its responsibilities, and to deflect all blame to BP.
BP said it will vigorously contest the claims should they come to court.
BP claims it has co-operated with the various investigation bodies, providing detailed information. Investigations published so far have concluded that multiple parties contributed to the incident, including Halliburton, according to BP.
BP added that multiple independent investigations have identified serious problems with the cementing of the well as a potential contributory factor to the Deepwater Horizon disaster – not only BP’s own investigation.
BP said it has accepted its responsibility for responding to the spill and is accordingly paying costs and compensation. In contrast Halliburton has refused to accept any responsibility or accountability.
“As BP has said repeatedly, it expects other parties to accept their responsibilities and bear their share of the costs,” the company said.