A North Korean “satellite” launch would be a highly provocative act that threatens peace and security in the region, warned the U.S. on Saturday.
Earlier in the day, North Korea announced that it would launch another long-range rocket between Dec. 10 and Dec. 22.
That announcement has drawn the ire of the U.S..
“Any North Korean launch using ballistic missile technology is in direct violation of UN Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs) 1718 and 1874,” said Victoria Nuland, State Department Spokesperson.
Nuland noted that the UN Security Council Presidential Statement adopted unanimously on April 16, 2012 strongly condemned North Korea’s April 13 launch and expressed its determination to take action accordingly in the event of a further launch.
“We call on North Korea to comply fully with its obligations under all relevant UNSCRs,” Nuland said in a statement.
According to Nuland, “Devoting scarce resources to the development of nuclear weapons and long-range missiles will only further isolate and impoverish North Korea. The path to security for North Korea lies in investing in its people and abiding by its commitments and international obligations.”
Nuland said the U.S. is consulting closely with its Six-Party and other key allies and partners on next steps.