Police Issue Occupy Portland Status Report


Portland Police officers from all precincts were called Wednesday night to assist with an Occupy Portland (Oregon) march through Downtown and the lower east side of Portland. The march started at Terry Schrunk Plaza and went throughout the Downtown core, crossing the river on the Hawthorne Bridge, into lanes of traffic along Southeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, and back Downtown across the Burnside Bridge.

At several points along the march, some participants refused police requests to stay on the sidewalk and took over streets, affecting traffic along the way, police said.

During the march, one subject shoved a police sergeant into a moving TriMet bus, then ran back into the crowd. After the march was over, officers located the assault suspect and placed him under arrest. The sergeant suffered minor injuries and did not require medical attention.

30-year-old David Anthony Burgess was charged with Assaulting a Public Safety Officer, Interfering with a Police Officer, Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree, and Harassment. Burgess was booked into the Multnomah County Jail.

Portland police said that due to the size of the march and the lack of cooperation from many participants, the Rapid Response Team (RRT) was called to assist with crowd management as well as officers from the Traffic Division and all three precincts.

In the past 3 days, the Portland Police Bureau has responded to a number of situations at the Occupy Portland encampments at Chapman and Lownsdale Squares. Below is a summary of some of the events:

  • On Monday October 31, 2011, officers responded to reports of a man stealing tires off a bike at Southwest 2nd and Morrison Street. A witness followed the suspect to the Occupy Portland encampment. Officers recovered the tires but the suspect eluded them into the tents. On Tuesday morning Officers arrested 52-year-old Reniel Diaz at the camp and booked him into the Multnomah County Jail for Theft in the Second Degree.
  • Also on Monday, officers responded to the report of a theft of barricades at a construction site at Southwest 4th and Madison Street. Officers located the barricades in the food area of Occupy Portland and they were returned to the construction site.
  • On Tuesday, officers contacted 25-year-old Omar Omar at Occupy Portland and arrested him on an outstanding warrant. Officers also arrested 25-year-old Dylan Wayne Hunter for Criminal Trespassing in the Second Degree and Disorderly Conduct in the Second Degree. Both men were booked into the Multnomah County Jail.
  • Today, Officers arrested 26-year-old Aaron Nathan Sandeen after recognizing him as a wanted person out of Washington County. Sandeen was arrested out of his tent in Occupy Portland. Sandeen was booked into the Multnomah County Jail.

Over the past 3 days, there have been at least two park exclusions issued for alcohol in the park, and one for marijuana possession.

One person has been taken to Hooper Detox for alcohol-related intoxication.

Three people suffering from mental health issues were taken to hospitals on mental holds.

Two people suffering from medical issues were transported to area hospitals with health related issues, including a teen aged female that suffered breathing problems due to methamphetamine use.

Additionally, persons within the encampments have continued to contact police officers to report various illegal activities and health concerns that are ongoing in both Chapman and Lownsdale Square parks.

Officers are continuing to monitor the Occupy Portland encampments 24 hours a day and will take enforcement action when necessary, the police said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *