Days ahead of the tenth anniversary of the September 11 attacks, the Pentagon announced Wednesday it is raising its alert levels at U.S. military bases.
“The force protection level for military installations, mostly in the United States, is being raised in advance of 9/11,” said Pentagon spokesman George Little.
“This is not in response to any particular threat but is a prudent and precautionary measure,” said Little.
The Pentagon said the move takes effect on Wednesday and will continue through Sunday.
The measures are due to the fact that al-Qaida has previously focused on anniversary dates.
Little notes that materials seized at the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed mentioned the anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on September 11, 2001.