Two explosions reported Friday morning in the Syrian city of Aleppo. According to press reports the blasts targeted the regime’s security forces. The Syrian news agency Sana reported that “terrorist attacks” hit a building of the military intelligence and a police brigade headquarters. Unofficial reports spoke about at least 25 dead. According to reports, among the casualties are civilians and military personnel.
The background of the recent explosions is unclear. In the past similar cases, the regime accused “terrorists” of being behind the blasts. Opponents of President Bashar al-Assad claim the regime is responsible for the attacks. Some sources said residents have witnessed “suspicious behavior” ahead of one of the blasts. They added that government troops after the detonations fired several shots in order to give the impression that there had been a skirmish between them and the terrorists.
The northern Syrian city of Aleppo is considered the commercial center of the country. So far, it remained relatively quiet.
The situation is much more dramatic in the opposition stronghold of Homs . In this city, the army took control last night of a key neighborhood. Troops also searched residential buildings, said the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Observers describe the situation in Homs as a disaster. Homs has been sealed off, food is scarce, and there is no medical supply to treat the wounded. Fearing arrests, the injured people prefer not to be treated in hospitals, but in makeshift underground clinics.
Many world leaders reiterated their contempt for the brutal actions by the Syrian regime. U.S. President Barack Obama described the violence in the country as “shocking”. Following a meeting with Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti in Washington, Obama said Italy and the United States agreed that the Syrian government that “attacks its own people,” should be replaced.