Since Thursday, Palestinians have fired some 120 missiles and mortar shells on southern Israel targets, launched from Gaza Strip, according to Israeli Army statements Sunday.
An army spokesman said that the Iron Dome defense system, recently operated in southern Israel, only succeeded in intercepting eight missiles from those launched recently.
Quoted by Radio Israel, the spokesman said aircraft raided sites where 11 armed Palestinian cells had been operating.
“One field leader of Hamas’ Qassam brigades was killed in one of the raids, and the leader was involved in the kidnapping of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit and other operations.”
According to the spokesman, the killed leader was also involved in missile attacks on Elat, launched from Egyptian Sinai.
The remarks were referring to Tayseer abuSnaimeh from Rafah, who was killed last night along with another comrade when a missile was fired on his vehicle.
On the Palestinian side, Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombardment of Karm AbuSalem military site, east of Rafah.
A statement said four shells were fired this morning on the site, close to the Egyptian-Israeli border, “in response to continued Israeli aggression.”
Popular Resistance Committees also said they had attacked Netivot and Raeem settlements overnight, while Radio Israel reported three shells fired from Gaza.
The shells hit in the Western Negev and caused power outage in several towns and agricultural communities.
Another claim of responsibility was made by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, which said it had fired a missile on southern Israel this morning, adding Eshkelon (Asqalan) was the target of the attack.
Though an army spokesman reported this attack, he did not mention damages or injuries.
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak had this morning stated the Israeli Army was willing to halt fire, if the Palestinian factions stop, completely and permanently, attacking southern Israel.
Speaking to Radio Israel, Barak said Hamas was dealt quite a few painful blows in recent days. Still, all options are still on the table should matters escalate.
In his statements, Barak confessed “there is no final and successful measure to stop Gaza-launched attacks on southern Israel.