Turkey’s Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu said the death toll from a Sunday evening suicide car bomb attack in the capital of Ankara has risen to 34, with 125 people being wounded, 19 of them in serious condition.
Muezzinoglu said that 30 of the fatalities died at the scene, while the other four perished at hospitals, Milliyet reported.
While no group has claimed responsibility for Sunday’s car bombing at 6:43 pm local time (16:43 GMT) near Guven Park’s crowded transport hub in the heart of Ankara, a senior security official told Reuters initial findings suggested the attack had been carried out by the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) or an affiliated militant group, reports Trend News Agency.
According to RT, Turkish authorities have announced that they will release the name of the group responsible for the deadly blast and the results of the probe into the bombing on Monday.
The site of the blast was close to a courthouse and buildings housing the country’s justice and interior ministries, reported RT.
The government blamed the PKK and Kurdish militants in Syria for the previous car bombing just a few blocks away on Feb. 17, which killed 29 people, most of them soldiers. That attack struck near Turkey’s military headquarters, parliament and other key government institutions.
Sources: Milliyet, Trend News Agency, RT