ISSN 2330-717X

Separatist Ideas Spreading In Ethnic Russian Regions From Murmansk To Vladivostok – OpEd

By

Because the Soviet Union disintegrated along ethnic lines, most observers inside the Russian Federation and abroad focus on separatist ideas and movements in the non-Russian republics and thus miss one of the most interesting developments in Vladimir Putin’s Russia: separatist ideas in predominantly Russian areas.

The current author has argued that “regionalism is the nationalism of the next Russian revolution” because Moscow has treated Russian regions as bad or worse than it has treated non-Russian ones and because Russian ethno-national identity is far weaker than many in Moscow and elsewhere believe (afterempire.info/2016/12/28/regionalism/).

There are many websites reflecting the views of Russian regionalists, but often those who run them have been forced to emigrate by the Russian authorities. As a result, the best evidence for the spread of separatist ideas in predominantly ethnic Russian regions is often provided by those who attack these ideas, both Russian officials and Russian nationalist writers.

This week offers two such examples, one, the trial and conviction of an unnamed Russian regionalist in Murmansk (afterempire.info/2018/05/15/free-murmansk/ and sud51.com/criminal/276) and the second, an attack on what the Russian commentator calls “sleeping separatism” in the Russian Far East (stoletie.ru/vzglyad/spashhij_separatizm_782.htm).

Earlier this spring, a resident of Severomorsk was tried on charges of threatening the territorial integrity of Russia, charges equivalent since 2014 to extremism, by calling for a referendum on the separation of Murmansk oblast from Russia. He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months in prison on a suspended basis as well as 18 months of probation.

One of the interesting aspects of this case is that local judges refused to give the man’s name lest they attract attention to him.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the Russian Federation in Vladivostok, Igor Romanov, editor of the Russian nationalist Bereg Rus portal writes that “the separatist threat in the Primorsky region and in the Far East is completely real but now it is hidden and in a sleepy state…”

Because the United States and other foreign powers want to gain access to and control over the natural resources of Russia east of the Urals, he says, any weakening of Russian power in the enormous regions will “instantly” lead this sleeping enemy to awaken and threaten Russian control there.

At present, Romanov says, “our people has been weakened.” Many in Moscow and Vladivostok are more interested in getting money than in defending their country. And such people have too much influence, he says. They need to be replaced with real patriots “for whom service to the Fatherland is a calling.”

Otherwise, there will be a disaster ahead.


Enjoy the article? Then please consider donating today to ensure that Eurasia Review can continue to be able to provide similar content.


Paul Goble

Paul Goble

Paul Goble is a longtime specialist on ethnic and religious questions in Eurasia. Most recently, he was director of research and publications at the Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy. Earlier, he served as vice dean for the social sciences and humanities at Audentes University in Tallinn and a senior research associate at the EuroCollege of the University of Tartu in Estonia. He has served in various capacities in the U.S. State Department, the Central Intelligence Agency and the International Broadcasting Bureau as well as at the Voice of America and Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Mr. Goble maintains the Window on Eurasia blog and can be contacted directly at [email protected] .

One thought on “Separatist Ideas Spreading In Ethnic Russian Regions From Murmansk To Vladivostok – OpEd

  • July 2, 2018 at 1:54 pm
    Permalink

    Russia is 85% Russians. The other 15% are scores of different people with only one such group, Tatars that comprise 3 % of Russia’s population.
    Take a breather Paul, Russia will not fall apart as you hope it would.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

CLOSE
CLOSE