ISSN 2330-717X

New York’s Supreme Court closes Strauss-Kahn case

By

The Supreme Court of New York ruled Tuesday to close a criminal case against former IMF chief, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, charged with sexual assault on a hotel maid.

The case against Strauss-Kahn was opened on May 14 after 32-year-old maid Nafissatou Diallo alleged that the man had assaulted her sexually at the Sofitel New York Hotel.

Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former IMF Managing Director
Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former IMF Managing Director

Strauss-Kahn, 62, pleaded not guilty and said any sexual contact had been with mutual consent.

The case was closed after prosecutors had filed papers to drop all the charges against Strauss-Kahn, citing the alleged victim’s lack of credibility. Diallo later admitted lying to a grand jury about the events surrounding the alleged attack.

After spending a few days in prison upon his arrest, Strauss-Kahn was released on a $1 million bail and put under house arrest.

In early July, prosecutors said Diallo had lied to the authorities when obtaining refugee status, and also lied to tax and social security officials and to the grand jury after taking an oath.

The judge intended to close the case, but Diallo’s lawyers said they had proof of Strauss-Kahn’s guilt.

Ria Novosti

Ria Novosti

RIA Novosti was Russia's leading news agency in terms of multimedia technologies, website audience reach and quoting by the Russian media.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.