Houthis To Deploy ‘Submarine Weapons’ In Red Sea Attacks

By

Yemen’s Ansarullah movement leader Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, announced on Thursday that Yemen’s armed forces will use “submarine weapons” in their attacks on vessels linked to Israel or the Israeli regime. 

“We introduced the submarine weapons into the confrontation in the Red Sea, and it is a weapon that will worry the enemy,” al-Houthi said in a televised speech.

Yemen has formally notified shippers and insurers of a ban on vessels associated with Israel, marking the first time such a ban has been communicated to the shipping industry. The ban covers ships wholly or partially owned by Israeli individuals or entities, vessels flying the Israeli flag, or owned by US or British individuals or entities, or sailing under the flags of the US or Britain, prohibiting them from the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, and Arabian Sea.

A senior Ansarullah official stated that the Humanitarian Operations Center was established in Sanaa to coordinate the safe and peaceful passage of ships and vessels that have no connection to Israel.

In a statement on Thursday, the Yemeni armed forces affirmed their commitment to their duties toward the Palestinian people and Yemen’s defense against American-British aggression. They declared that their military operations will continue until the aggression ends and the siege on Gaza is lifted.

Yemeni armed forces have conducted three military operations, targeting the Israeli port of Eilat, a British ship in the Gulf of Aden, and a US destroyer in the Red Sea using ballistic missiles and drones. These operations were launched “in support of the oppressed Palestinian people, and as part of the response to the American-British aggression on our country.”

Earlier on Thursday, the UK Maritime Trade Operations reported that a UK-owned ship was set on fire off the coast of Yemen after being struck by missiles in the Gulf of Aden. The vessel, identified as the Palau-flagged cargo ship Islander, was attacked some 70 nautical miles southeast of Aden. US-led coalition forces are responding to the incident.

The private security firm Ambrey also said “the missile attack led to a fire onboard and coalition military assets were responding to the incident.”

On October 31, 2023, Yemeni forces first claimed a missile-and-drone barrage targeting the port. Eilat has seen an 85% drop in activity since the Yemeni forces stepped up attacks on shipping in the Red Sea.

In recent months, the United States and its allies have launched attacks on Yemen’s territory amid frustration in the face of the anti-Israel maritime campaign by the Yemeni armed forces.

Tasnim News Agency

Tasnim News Agency, which claims to be a private news agency in Iran but is reported be close to the IRGC, was launched in 2012. Its purpose is to cover a variety of political, social, economic and international subjects along with other fields.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *