Senior Fatah official Jamal Muheisen said Saturday that West Bank authorities are in touch with Egypt and other nations to reach a truce between Israel and Gaza militants.
While Hamas’ military wing signed up to a truce mediated by Egypt on Wednesday night — after Israeli airstrikes killed eight Palestinians in three days — it quickly came unstuck as rockets and airstrikes continued.
Another five people have been killed in airstrikes since Friday, medical officials in Gaza say. Israel’s military says it is targeting rocket-launchers and denied involvement in one of the deaths, of a 4-year-old boy on Saturday.
Muheisen called on the international community to save lives by demanding protection for Palestinians living under occupation in accordance with international law.
President Mahmoud Abbas is in constant contact with Egypt and other Arab and foreign countries seeking a truce, he said.
Hamas official Ayman Taha told Gaza-based news site Safa press that an agreement to halt hostilities had been reached on Saturday night following Egyptian mediation, but no Hamas spokesman could be reached to confirm the report.
The Egyptian ambassador to the Palestinian Authority also did not return calls seeking comment.
Ofer Gendelman, spokesman for the Israeli Prime Minister, told Ma’an that Israel will continue military actions on the Gaza Strip as long as rockets are fired into Israel.
“Those who fire rockets at Israel will pay the price,” he said. An Israeli military spokeswoman said 24 rockets fired from Gaza landed in south Israel on Saturday, wounding one Israeli man.
Gendelman declined to discuss any efforts being made via Egypt to reach a truce.