Uncertainty reigned Tuesday over the fate of French journalist Edith Bouvier, injured last week during a bombing in Homs, Syria. Syrian activists argued that she had been evacuated to Lebanon, but the French Foreign Ministry has not confirmed the information, nor Le Figaro, the newspaper for which Edith Bouvier works.
Soizic Dollet, head of Middle East Reporters Without Borders (RSF), said there is conflicting information on the fate of Edith Bouvier. “We can not confirm whether she was released,” she said.
The French Foreign Minister, Alain Juppe, had previously said on RTL radio Tuesday morning that the state of French journalist was stable. “It seems that her health situation has stabilized but she has to be evacuated as soon as possible,” he said.
Edith Bouvier suffered a broken leg during the bombing that claimed the life of French photographer Rémi Ochlik and American journalist Marie Corvin. A diplomat in charge of the case had announced earlier that the British photojournalist Paul Conroy, who was wounded during the same bombing, was “safe” in Lebanon.
Meanwhile, the violence on Tuesday claimed the lives of at least 14 people, including five soldiers, reported the Syrian Observatory of Human Rights. It said the district of Baba Amr in Homs has been “bombed for the 25th consecutive day.”
Explosions were also heard in the neighborhood of Karm al-Zeitoune Khalidyé, while fighting continued in the Christian-majority district Hamidie between deserters and regular forces, the sources said.