Forty-one Iranian political prisoners have issued a statement in protest against the “pressure” and “restrictions” imposed on inmates in ward 350 of Evin Prison.
The Kaleme website reported on Thursday that the statement refers to the transfer of Mohammad Seifzadeh, a jailed member of the Defenders of Human Rights Centre, and Mostafa Nili, a jailed human rights activist, to Rejaishahr Prison in Karaj as “illegal” and “in violation of prisoner rights”.
The report indicates that Seifzadeh and Nili were transferred to Rejaishahr Prison on Tuesday, triggering “tension” and protests in ward 350 of Evin.
Kaleme adds that Nili told his cellmates at the time of his departure that he would go on an “unlimited hunger strike.”
The prisoners’ statement indicates that the transfer is the authorities’ retaliation against the fact that the prisoners confirmed that Sattar Beheshti, the jailed Iranian blogger, was tortured to death in Evin Prison.
Sattar Beheshti was arrested in October and pronounced dead after five days. The prisoners reported in a previous letter that they had seen signs of torture all over his body and that he was injured and in pain.
The authorities have confirmed that Beheshti’s remains bore signs of bruising, and the Tehran prosecutor said last week that his death was due to “blows or mental shock.”
The authorities have mentioned that the hand of “anti-Revolutionaries” was involved in the incident, referring to the statement from the prisoners.
The latest prisoners’ statement says that prison authorities have increased “pressure and restrictions” on the prisoners in ward 350 since they published their testimony regarding Sattar Beheshti earlier this month.
The signatories are once again demanding the return of Seifzadeh and Nili to Evin Prison from Rejaishahr Prison.