European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton has condemned Sunday’s Taliban attacks on government buildings and Western embassies in Afghanistan, her spokesperson said in a statement.
“The High Representative condemns in the strongest terms the coordinated attacks launched today by Taliban elements against premises of State institutions and international organizations in Kabul and other locations in Afghanistan,” the statement said.
Dozens of Taliban militants staged a series of gun, rocket and suicide attacks on the Afghan capital, Kabul, and other locations on Sunday afternoon, which Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said marked the start of the “spring offensive” against Afghan and foreign troops.
In Kabul, the U.S., British and German embassies, as well as NATO headquarters, the Afghan parliament building and a hotel were among the targets of the first major militant assault on the Afghan capital in more than six months.
Other attacks took place in the provinces of Logar, Paktia and Nangarhar.
The Afghan Interior Ministry said 17 militants had been killed and two others detained by security forces. A total of 17 police officers and 14 civilians have been wounded.
Taliban Terror Attacks hit Kabul. Footage from the scene
Zoom InAdd to blog
Ashton’s spokesperson said in the statement all EU personnel in Afghanistan were safe.
Enjoy the article?
Did you find this article informative? Please consider contributing to Eurasia Review, as we are truly independent and do not receive financial support from any institution, corporation or organization.