Yemen clerics have approved an eight point initiative to end the current crisis in the country, according to Yemeni state media.
According to SABA, the initiative was offered to President Ali Abdullah Saleh and the clerics by Yemeni prominent cleric Abdul-Majed al-Zindani in an attempt to stop the protests demanding political changes in the country.
SABA reports the initiative points are as follows:
1. The withdrawal of the current election and referendum draft laws. Parliament will have to approve a new law with the consensus of both parties.
2. The Withdrawal of proposed constitutional amendments.
3. Establishment of a mediation committee to end political disputes. Five prominent judges will be selected to the committee. GPC will choose two Judges, JMP will also select two and the Committee of Religious Scholars will choose the fifth member.
4. All parties are to end inciting and provocative media campaigns in order to create a suitable environment for national dialogue.
5. The release of prisoners who has not been proven guilty or don’t have pending court cases .
6. Forming a national unity government.
7. Intensifying anti-corruption investigations and activities by speeding up the prosecution of pending cases.
8. All parties are to end demonstrations and sit-ins to bring an end to streets congestion, preventing chaos, destruction of public and private properties.