By Ria Novosti
(RFE/RL) –German federal prosecutors say the killing of two U.S. servicemen in a shooting at Frankfurt airport this week was the act of an individual and not a militant network.
Two other servicemen were seriously wounded in the March 2 attack in which a gunmen fired on a bus ferrying American airmen.
The prosecutor in charge of the case, Rainer Griesbaum, said the suspected gunman was an “Islamist-influenced solo attacker” and that no evidence had been found he was directly connected to terrorist groups. He said the suspect had deliberately sought out servicemen bound for Afghanistan.
The suspect, identified as a 21-year-old ethnic Albanian of Kosovo origin, was overpowered minutes after the attack and taken into custody. He has been charged with two counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder.