ISSN 2330-717X

U.S. State Department Concerned Over New Wikileaks Dump

By

The U.S. State Department said on Tuesday it is concerned over a new release of U.S. diplomatic cables by whistleblowing website Wikileaks.

Last week, Wikileaks published more than 133,000 confidential U.S. diplomatic cables, some of which reportedly named sources that spoke on condition of anonymity. But the anti-secrecy organization denied that any sources were exposed in the latest release.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland did not comment on the authenticity of the documents made public by Wikileaks but said the United States “strongly condemns any illegal disclosure of classified information.”

“In addition to damaging our diplomatic efforts, it puts individuals’ security at risk, threatens our national security, and undermines our effort to work with countries to solve shared problems,” she told a press briefing.

“We remain concerned about these illegal disclosures and about concerns and risks to individuals. We continue to carefully monitor what becomes public and to take steps to mitigate the damage to national security, and to assist those who may be harmed by these illegal disclosures, to the extent that we can,” Nuland said.

In late 2010, Wikileaks provoked U.S. rage by releasing confidential diplomatic documents.

Ria Novosti

Ria Novosti

RIA Novosti was Russia's leading news agency in terms of multimedia technologies, website audience reach and quoting by the Russian media.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.