ISSN 2330-717X

Gaddafi’s Son Says Libya Not Afraid Of Foreign Airstrikes

By

Libya is not afraid of possible airstrikes by the foreign military against Col. Muammar Gaddafi forces, the Libyan leader’s son, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, told ABC on Friday.

“We are in our country and with our people. We are not afraid. It will not help the people if you start bombing Libya and kill Libyans. You will destroy our country. No one is happy with your decision,” Gaddafi’s son said.

He reiterated that the Libyan Army has been fighting only against rebels, not against civilians, maintaining that the number of victims among Libya’s civilian population was minimal.

The unrest in Libya, which began in mid-February, is believed to have claimed the lives of several thousand people.

The UN Security Council’s resolution imposes a no-fly zone over Libya and stipulates military action against Gaddafi’s troops if he continues attacking civilians has been approved by 10 council members, while Brazil, China, Germany, India and Russia abstained from voting.

Libya warned on Thursday that any foreign military intervention would put air and maritime traffic in the Mediterranean area under threat, as it would hit both civilian and military targets.

NATO said on Friday it is ready to attack Gaddafi forces. A NATO source told RIA Novosti earlier on Friday the United States, Britain, France and Canada were among the countries likely to carry out the first airstrikes.

Click here to have Eurasia Review's newsletter delivered via RSS, as an email newsletter, via mobile or on your personal news page.

Ria Novosti

RIA Novosti was Russia's leading news agency in terms of multimedia technologies, website audience reach and quoting by the Russian media.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.